The responsibility of the Building Department is to ensure that all buildings and structures within the City meet or exceed the New York State Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Codes and comply with Land Use Regulations. We provide consultative services to commercial and residential builders and issue necessary permits to protect the health, safety, and general welfare of the community. It is also the responsibility of the Building Department to monitor all Glen Cove building and development projects while under construction and assist in planning and development within the City limits by providing construction plan review, timely issuance of permits and building inspections as well as issue Certificates of Occupancy. Please consult the Building Department before you construct or change use.
The Building Department is here to help you with your project and pride ourselves in providing exceptional internal and external customer service. We provide efficient, responsive and timely issuance of permits and strive be the best on Long Island when it comes to permits as well as inspections. Our staff members are a knowledgeable, highly trained and strongly committed to addressing the concerns of Glen Cove’s growing population.
The Building Department believes that community education is critical to help residents and commercial builders navigate the City’s building codes and requirements. One key question that is always top-of-mind is: what requires a permit? A rule of thumb is: “if it involves structural changes, it requires a permit”
What activities require a permit?
- Additions to buildings, including garages, porches and decks.
- Interior work that requires structural changes.
- Finishing of basements
- Swimming pools over 18 inches in depth – (yes, a ½ in-ground pool is considered an in-ground pool).
- Sheds (including prefabricated sheds), barns, garages, greenhouses
- Wood and gas stoves, fireplaces
- Roofing, siding, and replacement windows
- Electrical service changes and repair
- Air Conditioning Units and Generators
Selling your home?
When a property is sold through a multiple-listing association, the owner must disclose any improvements or repairs made and if permits and inspections were obtained. Many financial institutions will not finance a purchase without proof of a final inspection for work done. If you decide to sell a home that has had modifications without a permit, you will be required to hire an Architect or Engineer, take out a building permit for the illegal work performed, and get it inspected. We ask homeowners to be pro-active prior to listing their properties to ensure they have the proper paperwork. This is a time saving activity as most real estate agents do not do the research for you concerning old vs. new work and once it is discovered that work was done without permits, it will hold up the closing date. Be prepared. Make sure all certificates have been obtained for all work completed on your home.
2018 Plumbing Test Dates
- September 12
- October 17
- November 15
The test will be administered at Glen Cove City Hall. Contact the building department for more information.
Building Department Forms (PDF)
- Affidavit of Footings and Foundation
- Amplified Sound Permit Application
- Building Permit Application
- Building Permit Zoning Analysis
- Building Permit Amendment Form
- Central Air Conditioning & Residential Generators Application
- Certificate of Existing Use Application
- Commercial Energy Code Requirements
- Commercial Building Code Worksheet
- Demolition Permit Form
- Excavation / Grading Permit
- Fence Permit Application
- Master Plumber License Application
- Master Plumber License Affidavit
- Master Plumber License Requirements
- Nassau County Commercial Tax Assessment Form
- Nassau County Residential Tax Assessment Form
- Outdoor Cafe License Requirements
- Sign Permit Application
- Special Inspection Requirements
- Storage Unit Permit Application
- Swimming Pool Application
- Residential Fire Sprinkler Application
- Temporary Tent Permit Application
- Unified Residential Solar Application
- Zoning Map – City of Glen Cove
Building Department Inquiries – Buildingdepartment@glencoveny.gov